Keane & Beane represents numerous school districts in Westchester, Putnam and Rockland Counties, NY. We counsel our clients on a wide range of issues, ranging from day-to-day personnel and operating issues to complex school litigation matters. More specifically, we support our clients in seven areas:
- Consultation with Boards of Education -- We regularly meet with and provide assistance to Boards of Education to advise them as to the laws relating to the functioning of public school districts. Such consultation, done either in person or over the telephone, allows us to be proactive in aiding our clients in effectively avoiding complicated legal battles or putting them in the best position to defend the district, thereby reducing their exposure.
- Student and Personnel Matters – We handle appeals to the Commissioner of Education, impartial special education hearings under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, student disciplinary matters, employee disciplinary proceedings pursuant to the Education Law and Civil Service Law, and discrimination claims before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and State Division of Human Rights.
- Acting as Labor Counsel – We act as chief negotiator in labor contract negotiations with various unions and represent school districts in improper practice proceedings and arbitration hearings.
- Business Office Functions – We regularly review contracts and lease agreements of various types. We also review financing documents, as well as counsel clients on topics such as FOIL, open meetings, residency and transportation.
- Construction – We advise clients on contracts, specifications and liens and represent them in litigation.
- Intellectual Property Law – We prepare and review technology policies and contracts relating to intellectual property concerns.
- Tax Certiorari – We advise on tax certiorari procedures.
We are active in the Education Law Community. The firm and its attorneys are members of the New York State School Boards Association and the Association of School Attorneys. Stephanie Roebuck was a past Co-Chair of the Education Committee of the Woman’s Bar Association of the State of New York. Our attorneys regularly present at conferences relating to education and public sector law sponsored by the New York State Bar Association, the New York State School Boards Association and Management Advocates for School Labor Affairs.
Advantages for Clients
Many school districts in the Hudson Valley choose Keane & Beane as its education counsel. We combine deep experience in Education Law with knowledge of related practice areas that address our clients’ needs: Labor Relations & Employment, Construction Law, Municipal Law and Environmental Law.